TL;DR – If the new ad shard offers aren't working for you, it could be 'cos of your privacy settings.
There's been quite a few posts re: the game's new ad shard mechanism. This post concerns the newly-implemented ad reward platform – the one with Nick Fury's picture on it, not the one with Tony Stark. I am not an authority on this subject, but what I'm posting here is what I've found out.
I will try to be as neutral as possible.
The new ad platform is provided by SupersonicAds, a supply-side platform providing offerwall and mobile video ads. Here's a description
. SupersonicAds' Website
If you're curious about Supersonic's background and reputation, search Google and Reddit for "Supersonic Ads". Draw your own conclusions.
Whether or not Supersonic's ads and offers are working for you, you need to know a couple of things:
- Supersonic is a vendor, and TinyCo is Supersonic's client;
- TinyCo has implemented Supersonic's code in the game;
- After you click on the Nick Fury side of the dialog box, every offer you click brings up your browser, i.e. you're not in-game anymore(!); and
- To the best of my knowledge, everything after that point is beyond TinyCo's control.
Now, for some of you, the offers work. For some others, it doesn't. Again, to the best of my knowledge, this is dependent on how your device is setup.
I copied the URL in the browser after clicking on some random offer and this is what I got, broken into individual parameters:
https://supersonicads-a.akamaihd.net/adunit/dist/prod/adUnitStandalone.html ?localTime=XXXXXXXXXXXXX &format=openRTB &bundleId=com.tinycorp.avengers &mobileCarrier=XXXXXXXXXXXXX &batteryLevel=100 &deviceVolume=0.8041667 &deviceModel=iPhone8%2C4 &scope=8 &applicationKey=XXXXXXXXXXXXX &deviceIds%5BIFA%5D=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000 &appVersion=1.13.2 &deviceLanguage=XXXXXXXXXXXXX &mnc=05 &gpi=false &referrerId=mobileApps2Go &controllerId=XXXXXXXXXXXXX &applicationUserId=XXXXXXXXXXXXX &debug=0 &pScore=undefined &deviceOs=ios &v=2.0.22 &appOrientation=landscape &deviceIds%5BIDFV%5D=XXXXXXXXXXXXX &deviceOEM=Apple &iphoneAppOnIpadDevice=0 &jb=false &diskFreeSize=37610 &timezoneOffset=XXXXXXXXXXXXX &baseUrl=https%3A%2F%2Fow-gateway.supersonicads.com%2Fgateway%2Fofferwall%2Frequest &allowArbitraryLoads=true &mcc=525 &suppressPageImpression=1 &deviceWidthDP=568 &useClientSideCallbacks=true &deviceOSVersion=10.3.1 &deviceHeightDP=320 &isLimitAdTrackingEnabled=true &SDKVersion=5.34 &connectionType=wifi
(Everything marked XXXXXXXXXXXXX has been redacted. Personal info.) EDIT: Another redaction.
A few things I noticed:
- Supersonic now knows practically everything about my device (including how much battery power I had! LOL!), my mobile carrier, and who I am vis-à-vis TinyCo.
- One of the parameters (&deviceIds%5BIFA%5D) shows a whole string of zeros. That's my ID for Advertising (IDFA). According to this article, it's an anonymous ID. Further down, you'll also see that I've also enabled Limit Ad Tracking (&isLimitAdTrackingEnabled). The article also explains how this impacts advertisers.
- A couple of other parameters (&useClientSideCallbacks and &allowArbitraryLoads) appear to allow(?) my phone to request stuff from Supersonic.
- The ad referrer (&referrerId) is MobileApps2Go – the people who decide which adverts and/or offers you see. I figure this is for localisation, so that you see ads from advertisers in your area.
How do I feel about this? Personally, I'm anal about my privacy and I don't like the idea of any personal info being passed out, but what I see here appears to be
legit. If the rewards don't work for me, it's possibly because my phone isn't sending a valid ID because I've limited (blocked) ad tracking, ergo incomplete info.
Again, I'm no programmer, so don't shoot me if I've got things wrong. If any of you reading this knows better, please contribute. Thanks!
If you feel the need to contact Supersonic, I recommend you read through those documents for a better understanding of your position and theirs before making contact. The relevant email addresses are contained within.
YET ANOTHER EDIT:
I'm starting to get the impression that not everybody is getting the new ad shard rewards feature. Click here to see what it looks like
Pokémon GO The subreddit for Niantic's Pokémon-based Augmented Reality game. We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company, Nintendo, or Niantic.