As per the dialogue in the final Interference mission, Eris wonders if we are not the only race that the Darkness has spoken to. For us in the real world, we already know that Eramis has formed the House of Darkness on Europa, more or less confirming she has had some kind of contact with the Darkness as this new House possesses Darkness powers.
In this list, I will go over possible Eramis equivalents in the other enemy races, counting only those seen in the room with the Pyramid that the Darkness speaks to us in between defeating Nokris and being teleported back to the Cradle in the last Interference mission. As such, the Scorn and the Taken will not be included.
1. The Cabal
The most likely candidate I can see is Calus' daughter, Caiatl
, who shared Ghaul's ideals and is a close friend of Umun'arath
, the Evocate-General and the Primus of All Legions who bears a similar name to the Hive God of War, Xivu Arath. With the Darkness offering another path and more power to us, we can only expect that it has told the same thing to the other races it has spoken to, and with Caiatl and Umun'arath's shared beliefs that ' the war against the dark forces of the galaxy was more important than everything else and that the rest of Cabal society was meant to support the Legions.', it is possible that they may turn to the Darkness for aid in order to defend and expand the Cabal Empire with Umun'arath at the head after the failure and death of Ghaul.
Theorizing a bit here, there may be the appearance of a new Legion imbued with the powers of Darkness, which I have personally dubbed the Abyssal Legion https://www.destinypedia.com/Umun%27arath https://www.destinypedia.com/Caiatl,_the_Princess-Imperial
2. The Vex
The Vex already have had run-ins with the Darkness, what with the Black Heart in the Garden and all, and we can see that if they run into something they cannot process, they take to worshiping it, as seen with the Sol Divisive Collective. The Darkness seems to have taken an interest in the Vex, seeing as they are by-products of the 'game' between it and the Light, showcased with its marked interest in the Pyramidion that forced Asher Mir to bring it down upon himself.
Even more worryingly, the Darkness appears to want the reality-warping powers of the Vex for itself and has acquired some of their time manipulation technology, using it in the creation of the Primeval Mind, the Eschaton Mind and the Imminent Mind, all from different time periods.
With the appearance of the Vex on Europa, it looks as though the Vex are now truly wielding the Darkness, or vice versa, going beyond worship. The name I have coined for this new Collective is the Sol Midnight Collective. https://www.destinypedia.com/Black_Heart https://www.destinypedia.com/Sol_Progeny https://www.ishtar-collective.net/entries/asher-conclusion
3. The Hive
The Hive surprised me when I saw in the Pyramid room given that Oryx, Savathun and Xivu Arath made contact with the Worm Gods, one or more of which were capable of communing directly with the Darkness itself (Akka). Oryx went one step further, slaying Akka and taking its power to commune with the Darkness directly and gaining the power to Take.
However, it should be noted that the Darkness and the Hive are not one and the same - the Hive merely interpret / embody the Darkness through Sword-Logic, not the pure Darkness itself.
Therefore, I feel that the member of the Hive that will be embraced by the Darkness will be Xivu Arath
, the 3rd of the original 3 Hive gods and the least talked about in-game, save for recent incursions into the Dreaming City. The reason for my surety? Xivu Arath seems to be the only one of the Hive gods that has not attempted to subvert the Worm's system and the Sword-Logic, with Oryx using the tithe system and Savathun attempting to use Nokris' necromancy as means of supplanting the Sword-Logic. On the other hand, Xivu Arath has stayed true to the nature of the Sword-Logic, having slaughtered her way through the universe for innumerable eons with her armies, sticking to the bounds of the contract she made with the Worm Gods all those ages ago.
As a Hive God, the embodiment of war and carnage no less, which better candidate for the Darkness is there to give its power to? https://www.destinypedia.com/Xivu_Arath
The primary candidate to be the bearer of the power of the Darkness for humanity is the Guardian. You, the player.
Similar to Xivu Arath, we have conquered, slaughtered and destroyed our way through the system for ages, (if you consider The Guardian in D1 and D2 to be the same). An incomplete list of our conquests would be as follows:
- Crota, the God-Prince of the Hive (Killed thousands of Guardians on the Moon)
- Oryx, The Taken King (Has been conquering for potentially billions of years)
- The Deathsingers, Ir Anuk and Ir Halak (Of comparable power to Crota)
- Sardon, Fist of Crota (The foremost of Crota's lieutenants)
- Omnigul, Will of Crota (Crota's Consort)
- Hashladun, Daughter of Crota
- Nokris, Herald of Xol / Supplicant of Savathun (Exiled son of Oryx, weaker than Crota but possessing heretical Hive magics)
- Xol, Will of the Thousands (A Worm God, albeit the weakest of them)
- Aksis, Archon Prime (Augmented by SIVA, considered by the Fallen to be a living god)
- Sepiks Prime (Prime Servitor of the House of Devils)
- Taniks, the Scarred (Assassinated Andal Brask, the Hunter Vanguard before Cayde-6)
- Skolas, Kell of Kells (Led the Wolf Rebellion)
- Draksis, Winter Kell (Kell of the House of Wintr)
- Insurrection Prime, Kell's Scourge (Fallen War Mech)
- Siviks, Lost to None (Leader of the Kell's Scourge)
- Atheon, Time's Conflux (Power of the Vault of Glass)
- Panoptes, Infinite Mind (Creator of the Infinite Forest)
- Argos, Planetary Core (Vex Mind behind the conversion of Nessus)
- The Scorn Barons
- Riven of a Thousand Voices (Taken Ahamkara of extreme power)
- Dul Incaru, the Eternal Return
- Dominus Ghaul (Leader of the undefeated Red Legion)
- Gahlran (Bearer of the Crown of Sorrow)
Seeing as we have quite the list of accomplishments to our name, it is no wonder that the Darkness, in a similar fashion to Calus, has sought after us to be their champion in their name, given that we have felled so many mighty foes.
What are your thoughts? Do you agree or disagree with my choices?