I went a 2.5 week road trip with my G14 | A non-gaming review
Background: Back at the start of September, I was looking for an excuse to get out of my house, but I didn't really have anywhere to go. I found out that a college friend of mine was still traveling for his work, and he was touring from Colorado, back to California. I booked a one-way flight to Denver, and rode all the way back to California with him.
I was still working, and spent days working in my hotel, or in the passenger seat of his car, viewing various landscapes of the rocky mountains.
My Laptop bag did not include the power brick that comes with the laptop, I worked exclusively with a 65 Watt USB-C charger I purchased before the trip (I'll list my charging devices at the bottom). Here are my takes:
Things I like:
- Battery life is outstanding. This is my first 6+ hour laptop, and thanks to the community here, I was able to push 6+ hours daily on battery (when we weren't in the car or hotel). I am also interested to see what effect the 80%/60% battery cap will have on long-term ownership of the machine.
- Thermals. coming from a MBP 2011, 2010 HP Pavilion, and 2013 Lenovo ThinkPad, I was pleased with the thermals. I normally have the machine on my table, but working from my lap for extended periods was cool and a non-issue. This is probably common with laptops today, but all of the laptops I have used before used to get super hot after some point, and I couldn't use the other machines for extended periods of time.
- Screen. I've seen mixed reviews about the screen, but I found the screen to be serviceable, even in direct sunlight in the car or outside.
- Wifi connectivity - Probably has more to do with my cell-phone, than the laptop, but staying connected via WiFi hotspot worked like a charm. As long as I had service, I could connect my laptop, and had almost no drops. For those who may use Direct Access from Win10, I used to have a terrible time connecting to Direct Access via my Lenovo machine, under the same WiFi hotspot. Even my MBP 2011 struggles with hotspot connections too, but this machine didn't skip a beat.
- Performance - the 4900HS is a beast. I don't think I can really leverage its true performance in my day-to-day, but I did have to unzip some large files a few times, and coming from the Lenovo and MBP, I am seriously impressed with its performance, even with something as simple as that.
- Keyboard. I really like the clicky-ness of the keyboard. responsive, and feels good. Very similar to my MBP 2011 and probably a little better than my Lenovo keyboard (Keys are thinner on the G14, than the Lenovo and MBP, but that appears to be an industry trend).
- Trackpad. I was a big hater of MS trackpad functionality, and have always thought Apple owned the market with their trackpad performance. This trackpad competes with my MBP 2011's trackpad, and I love it. Knowing MS has laptops with good trackpads now, I will never go back to whatever my Pavilion or Lenovo machines used.
- Compactness. Laptop size isn't really an issue for me, but having something that slides easily in-and-out of my LowePro backpack is a nice bonus.
Things I didn't like:
- Keyboard. I'm aware this is a gaming laptop, but I wish they had dedicated home/end/page-break keys. I work in SSMS frequently, and It was a pain having to terminate my scripts through the GUI. After my trip, I used MS Power Apps, and I re-mapped my F9-F11 keys for this functionality. This has pretty much solved my problem.
- Occasional Blue-Screen. This happened a few times. It may be more of an organizational policy thing, than a laptop thing. Every now and then, my laptop would blue-screen, and I'd have to restart.
- Occasional black-screen on wake. Is this a power issue? Sometimes, when waking my machine up from sleep, I would be met with a black screen, and unresponsive keyboard. Re-booting resolved my issue each time.
- Trackpad. The palm-rejection on the laptop kind of sucks. I see now why most laptop manufacturers shift the trackpad a little to the left. This is something that might be fixable with software.
Final Conclusion: Overall, this laptop is amazing, especially at a $1500 price point. Easily one of the best machines I've owned. Would I recommend it for someone who is always on the road? Definitely. The battery life, along with performance is wonderful. But I think its worth stating that most people, could settle for something a little cheaper, if they are not gaming. If I could re-build this machine, I would keep the design, but strip the GPU (since I'm not gaming), to save a few $$$, which I think the G15 is? I'd also probably go with the lower energy 4800U, but maintain the large battery for more than 7+ hours of work usage.
Hopefully this review can help someone along with their buying decision! I didn't buy this machine for gaming, and definitely think its a good alternative to similarly priced Dell machines and Lenovo machines. For those curious about what items I had in my bag as I traveled, here is what I use:
- Verizon Galaxy Note 8. My plan includes 15GB hotspot, which was more than plenty for the trip.
- Aukey 65W USB-C Fast Charger. Note that if you plug in to both ports, you cannot leverage the 65W fast charge, and your laptop might actually not be charging depending on your power draw.
- 5A USB-C Charging Cable
- 45W USB-C Car Charger by NekTeck. This worked fine in the car, but I was a little nervous, because its only 45W. I would check my thermal's every so often to make sure I wasn't drawing too much power. I also don't know how reputable this brand is. I don't think 65W car chargers exist yet.
- My buddy had a converter in his car that turns the car charger into a wall charger. I used the Aukey charger with that device and it worked great.
- If it matters, my buddy has a 2018 or 2019 Honda Civic.
submitted by bigmacman40879
[Discussion] First Tweaks to Install on your iPhone! (iOS 13)
Hey everyone! I am making this list to help newcomers find the best
and most useful
tweaks, as it is pretty easy to get lost among all the sites and videos on the Internet. Feel free to recommend similar tweaks in the comments (preferably with a short description and a repo).
Package managers: Cydia -
Old and slow, but stable. Zebra -
Modern, fast and powerful. Sileo -
Fast, reliable and sleek. Only for Checkra1n. Installer 5 -
The App Store of tweaks.
Categories: System Change (SYC) -
Tweaks that modify or let you modify certain parts of the iOS to achieve various behaviours or effects. Application Change (APPC) -
Tweaks that modify applications. Application (APP) -
Tweak-like sideloaded applications. Utility (UT) -
Tweaks for more advanced users. Keyboard (KB) -
Tweaks that modify your keyboard. Customization (CM) -
Tweaks that change the appearance of certain elements in your iOS. Below iPhone X (BX) -
Tweaks that are only useful below the iPhone X. Above iPhone X (AX) -
Tweaks that are only useful on or above the iPhone X. Jailbreak Detection Bypass (BYP) -
Tweaks that bypass or can be used to bypass the jailbreak detection of certain applications. Troubleshooting (TS) -
Tweaks that are used for troubleshooting and fixing compatibility issues between your tweaks.
- SYC - Activator - Centralized gestures, button and shortcut management for iOS.
- APPC - Truestcuts - It enables “Run without asking” and also selectively disables Automation notifications, without affecting other shortcuts notifications..
- APPC - SkinnySettings - Gives you minimal, useful and smooth options to customize your Settings app.
- KB - Keyboard Accio - Makes the "global" key always switch between the first and second input modes of your keyboard settings.
- KB - NoTrackpadDelay - Removes the annoying delay before the haptic touch trackpad can be used after typing.
- KB - TripleSpace - Shortcut for triple space (pressing the spacebar three times in a row).
- CM/AX - DigitalBattery13 - Provides a digital percentage in the StatusBar for all notched devices.
- CM/AX - Saw - Cut down the space below the tab bar where the home gesture bar sits. The home bar is hidden to allow legibility of the tab bar.
- APPC - Safari Plus - Features many enhancements, ranging from small usability improvements to extensive new features.
- SYC - TetherMe - Enables the native tethering functionality of your device and gives you the option to share data from a VPN or to share a WiFi connection to USB.
- KB - DoubleCut - Insert mail address via double tapping the "@" key.
- CM/AX - AutoHideHomeBarX - Hide the homebar, CC grabber and the "swipe to unlock" text.
- CM - No Thumbnail - Removes the thumbnail image for recent photos in the camera app.
- APPC - Youtube Reborn - Enable background playback, remove ads, hide sections and disable elements.
- APPC - Youtube Music Reborn - Enable background playback and audio/video only mode, remove ads, disable age/contect check.
- TS - CocoaTop - A GUI process viewer. - for Unc0veCheckra1n: "...iOS 10+" - for Electra/Chimera: "...11 Electra"
- SYC - CC On & Off - Actually disable Wi-Fi and Bluetooth from the Control Centre.
- AX - AutoUnlockX - Unless there are notifications, the device will automatically unlock when valid Face ID is detected.
- BYP - TweakRestrictor - Allows you to disable tweaks in apps in order to prevent bans when in a jailbroken environment.
- SYC - AppSync Unified - Enables the ability to install unsigned/fakesigned iOS applications.
- SYC - Powercuff - Exposes access to hidden power throttling modes for better battery life.
- KB - NoScrollbarGrabDelay - Removes the annoying delay before the haptic touch scrollbar can be used.
- UT - Filza File Manager - A powerful file manager.
- APP - iTorrent - A modern torrent client.
- APPC - Banner Sounds 13 - Change sounds and vibration patterns for notifications, based on filters matching an application or notification.
- SYC - System Info - Various informations about your iDevice in the Settings app.
Ivano Bilenchi's Repo
- SYC - Sentinel - Sentinel is designed to help you avoid having to re-jailbreaking your device when you run out of battery. When the battery charge reaches a user-set percentage it will initiate a fake shutdown.
- SYC/BYP - SnapBack - A backup manager that can be used to jump between jailbreaks.
- UT/TS - iCleaner Pro - An iOS system cleaner and optimizer, that removes unnecessary files from your device, and allows you to enable or disable tweaks.
- CM/KB/BX - Little11 - Brings iPhone X features and more to older devices.
- TS - Cr4shed - A modern crash reporter.
- CM - BetterCCXI - Gives you enhanced Connectivity and Music Modules.
- SYC - EZSwipe - This tweak lets you customize the swipe down gesture on the homescreen to perform different actions based on which side of the screen the gesture is performed.
- TS - CrashReporter - Helps viewing the details of a crash, determining the possible cause of said crash, and reporting this information to the developer(s) responsible.
- APPC - Shuffle - Organizes your settings into easier to navigate sections.
- UT - OpenSSH - Secure remote access between machines.
- UT - MTerminal - A stripped-down, lightweight MobileTerminal fork with tap zones.
- AX - KB - Shortmoji - Adds quick access to emojis and pasteboard shortcuts in the stock keyboard.
- BYP - KernBypass - A kernel-level bypass.
jjolano's iOS Tweaks
- BYP - A-Bypass - Advanced jailbreak detection bypass.
- BYP - Shadow - A lightweight general jailbreak detection bypass.
- BYP - Liberty Lite (Beta) - A general purpose jailbreak detection bypass.
- BYP - Choicy - Disable tweak injection for every application individually.
- APPC - AppStore++ - Allows you to downgrade or upgrade apps in the AppStore.
Johnzaro's Perfect Repo
- BYP/APPC - Flex 3 Beta - Download patches or develop your own tweaks.
- APPC - PerfectMessages - Returns to the message list when you close the application.
- APPC - PerfectPhotos - Add "Select All" button, enable unlimited zoom, skip delete confirmation.
- APPC - PerfectReddit - Remove promoted posts and all suggestions.
- APPC - PerfectTwitter - Always latest timeline & remove all promotion posts.
- APPC - PerfectPhone - No voicemail tab, longer call button, show time in recent calls.
- BYP - FlyJB - Hide your jailbreak from apps.
- AX/CM - $4 - CallBar XS - Complete call handling for Telephony and FaceTime audio calls, along with many applications using CallKit. Whole new UI and dialer interface.
- CM - $3 - Snapper 2 - Crop a portion of the screen and keep it floating on the screen.
- CM - $5 - Springtomize 5 - Customize your device with more than 100 options.
- SYC - $2 - Pasithea 2 - A tweak that lets you manage the iOS clipboard history.
- CM - $2 - Complications - Brings Apple Watch widgets to your iPhone's lock screen.
- CM - $2 - Zenith - Zenith lets your create "stacks" of icons on your homescreen.
- CM - $3 - Modulus - Adds several new Control Centre modules.
- SYC - $2,5 - Appaze 2 - Allows you to customize a bunch of toggles (Volume, Brightness, Wi-Fi, Cellular, Orientation Lock) for a specific app, directly using its 3D Touch menu!
- APPC - $2,8 - Deluminator - Deluminator converts all your websites to a darker mode. It works with all browsers and also compatible with built-in safari used by apps.
- CM - $1,5 - Ainsworth - Allows you to add one of the 3 popup styles to all your bluetooth devices and wired headphones.
- CM - $1,5 - Lynx - A dynamic customization tweak.
- CM - $2 - Kalm - Gives you a beautiful first sight when you look at your device. It’s always tinted in your wallpapers colors so it fits right in.
- KB/AX - $2,5 - SwipeExtenderX - Swipe in any direction on a key to perform an action.
- CM - $2 - Multipla - Multiple docks with widgets.
- CM - $3 - ShortLook - Changes how notifications display on your locked iPhone, allowing for better readability from a distance.
- CM/AX - $4 - Gesto - Enhances iOS's multitasking view.
Edit #1: Added Activator
- SYC - (10 days trial) $2,25 - Roadrunner - Keep now playing app active through resprings.
. Edit #2: Added Filza
, iCleaner Pro and Cr4shed
. (thanks to u/DrinkYourFkgCalories
) Edit #3: Changed the repo of iCleaner Pro
. (thanks to u/_lightmann
) Edit #4: Replaced iTransmission with iTorrent
. (thanks to u/DrinkYourFkgCalories
) Edit #5: Added Shuffle alongside its repo.
(thanks to u/sheridan2206
) Edit #6: Added categories. Edit #7: Added SkinnySettings
. (thanks to u/Tanner1XR
) Edit #8: Changed the repo of Filza
. (thanks to u/alshraify
) Edit #9: Added Clip alongside its source. Edit #10: Added MTerminal
, CocoaTop and OpenSSH alongside its repo.
(thanks to u/DrinkYourFkgCalories
) Edit #11: Added CallBar XS
. (thanks to u/CaseMon3y
) Edit #12: Added Springtomize 5 and Barmoji alongside its repo. Edit #13: Added Lynx
. (thanks to u/remembermereddit
) Edit #14: Replaced Clip with Pasithea 2
. (thanks to u/wrxck_
) Edit #15: Added Complications
. Edit #16: Added package managers and two new categories (KB, BYP). Edit #17: Added Liberty Lite Beta
, Choicy and KernBypass alongside their respective repo
. Edit #18: Added SwipeExtenderX and Zenith
. (thanks to u/BenCoro
) Edit #19: Added SnapBack
. (thanks to u/mandanlullu
) Edit #20: Added Modulus
. Edit #21: Added BetterCCXI
, Multipla and Gesto
. (thanks to u/blinkomatic
) Edit #22: Added Flex 3 Beta alongside its repo
. Edit #23: Added AppStore++ alongside its repo.
(thanks to u/Sagar5786
) Edit #24: Added Keyboard Accio
, NoTrackpadDelay and NoscrollbarGrabDelay
. (thanks to u/p0358
) Edit #25: Added Roadrunner
. (thanks to u/8point3fodayz
) Edit #26: Added Deluminator
. (thanks to u/minhtymeo
) Edit #27: Added TripleSpace
, Saw and Powercuff
. (thanks to u/ctang1
) Edit #28: Added Safari Plus
. (thanks to u/SwagyMcSwagface
) Edit #29: Added PerfectMessages
, PerfectYoutube and PerfectPhone alongside their repo.
(thanks to u/AndrewBeast1244
) Edit #30: Changed the repo of CocoaTop
. (thanks to u/alshraify
) Edit #30: Replaced Youtube Tools and PerfectYoutube with Youtube Reborn
. (thanks to u/krandyman5439
) Edit #31: Added AppSync Unified and Youtube Music Reborn
. Edit #32: Added TetherMe
, TweakRestrictor and AutoUnlockX
. (thanks to u/supapete
) Edit #33: Added CrashReporter
. (thanks to u/SwagyMcSwagface
) Edit #34: Added Appaze 2
. (thanks to u/Sleetui
) Edit #35: Added EZSwipe
. (thanks to u/Starmina
) Edit #36: Added Doublecut
, AutoHideHomeBarX and No Thumbnail
. (thanks to u/LuvlyVibez
) Edit #37: Added and changed the repo of CC On & Off
. (thanks to u/Deeyawn2010
submitted by skyfighteer