Oops I messed the title up. Sorry.
I'm working on a (quite long) doc trying to get the in-game explanations of the Matrix straight in my head and, in places, more consistent with how the rules are written. Sharing some excerpts now because I'm hoping to get feedback. These are the bits where I attempt to justify why deckers have to be close to their hacking targets, why you can't have two personas at once / why no-one can steal your persona, and lay the foundations of what turning wireless off on your devices does. Edit to add - in case it wasn't clear - my goal here is to re-write the existing fluff to support the rules as written, bridging over what I see as gaps or inconsistencies, and fleshing out some things that are only half-said. I'm not going to add things for the sake of adding them but I do have some new concepts to introduce to explain some things that, per the books, don't make sense to me - like the "backbone" below.
I know a lot of people's attitude is "just treat the Matrix as magic and don't even try and explain it". If that works for you, great! Really happy for ya! But it bugs the shit out of me. So here we go. Let me know what you think! If there's interest it might keep my enthusiasm up for getting it finished... Edit to add - thanks for the enthusiasm! I'll get some more sections edited and polished and post them here, and I'll try and get the whole doc finished off and sharable.
Nuts and bolts of Matrix infrastructure
The Matrix is so far ahead of our current understanding of computing so as to border on magical. Nevertheless, there are some ways in which it resembles the networks we are familiar with today.
- Mesh routing: the Matrix predominantly uses high-bandwidth, high-frequency wireless signals to carry vast amounts of data around. Unfortunately, these are also very short range and are easily blocked by solid matter. To get around this, the Matrix relies on a mesh network for the “last mile” of connectivity. The extreme density of devices in a 2080 city, combined with the ability to seamlessly pass traffic from device to device, can get your signal where it needs to go. Deckers call this part of the Matrix the local mesh or, sometimes, the lower grid.The local mesh has a strictly limited range: too many hops, too much distance, or too much interference and the signal degrades to become useless. Fortunately, for a legitimate user, their network traffic only needs to reach an uplink node, so this is rarely an issue.
- The global grid aka the Backbone: your connection only uses the local mesh until it can reach an uplink node and be routed onto the global grid, sometimes called the backbone or the upper grid by deckers. Uplinks are the interface between the wireless part of the Matrix and backbone, the on-ramps to the Matrix proper. Once your traffic is on the backbone, it’s being carried by a vast planet-spanning array of fibre optic cables and satellite links; bandwidth and speed are approximately infinite, and distance is no object.Security on uplink nodes is fierce, and traffic on the backbone is routinely subjected to deep inspection by GOD. Only the most legendary of novahot deckers have ever managed to smuggle illegal traffic over the backbone, let alone compromise an uplink node entirely.
- Cellular networking: when the local mesh fails you, uplinks can still fall back to early-20th-century style long-range digital radio signals. The bandwidth is feeble and the latencies are terrible; it’s only enough for text/voice/video comms, or for letting your car check with the cloud that you’re allowed to drive it. But at least it works almost everywhere.
- Fog computing: most Matrix devices have the ability to borrow computing power from other nearby devices. This is baked into the Matrix’s protocols. It allows devices to be relatively small and power-efficient, but still cope with occasional spikes in demand for computation. Taking smaller devices off the Matrix vastly decreases their computing power, however.
- Wireless power delivery: the Matrix is capable of trickle charging devices attached to it, via near-ubiquitous power points. Most small electronic gadgets (commlinks, sensors, headphones, cyberware) have effectively infinite battery life as long as they remain connected to the Matrix. Devices usually include only small backup batteries to get them through any power outages. Some illegal devices, designed to run disconnected from the Matrix for prolonged periods in order to hide from detection, feature larger batteries to compensate.
Your commlink as the keys to your wageslave life
When you boot up your commlink, the first thing you do is sign into it, via some combination of biometrics. This creates your persona
, your digital mirror-image in the Matrix. The persona runs for as long as your commlink does.
However, like any newborn, your persona comes into the world naked and powerless. So the next thing that happens is your commlink reaches out through the local mesh and up to various cloud hosts that live on the backbone.
Each of these hosts in turn establishes that the person using your persona matches their fingerprint. For users with direct neural connections, this is carried out as a brainwave challenge/response. The host reaches down through your interface and… pokes… your brain a little, inducing certain patterns. It measures how your brain responds to the poking, and compares it to patterns stored in very secure cloud hosts that were recorded as part of a cryptokey exchange when you created the account. If they match, the host is satisfied you are who you claim to be.
This process is completely safe; they assure us. Any resemblance between the transient brainwave states triggered and those recorded in epileptics is coincidental.
This process is extremely difficult to fool, particularly for lots of hosts at once; although there are urban legends of particularly wily deckers pulling off successful man-in-the-middle attacks against people using trodes rather than datajacks.
Unfortunately, users without DNI suffer much lower security. They have to rely on crude biometrics such as fingerprints and retina scans, all of which are much more vulnerable to fakery, even if they use very expensive and high-end scanners.
Once a given host is happy the persona is under your control, it issues your persona with access permissions over whatever it controls. (Deckers call these Access Control Lists, or ACLs - pronounced “ackles”.) One host might belong to Ford, and grant your persona access to drive your Americar. A Horizon host would give you access to your P2.1 social media account. An Ares host, after particularly thorough examination, would enable you to fire your Predator. And so on and so forth - even a low-key user will have hundreds of these permissions.
This all happens in a few seconds.
Personas are ephemeral things. They only last as long as the commlink is running and you are attached to it. (This is particularly irritating for trode users; if the trodes get jostled too much, they can disconnect entirely, and you have to sign in all over again.) Furthermore, to guard against… shenanigans…, the more secure hosts will re-run spot checks of brainwave patterns periodically.
Note also you can never have two personas. The cloud hosts will immediately detect if you attempt to sign in with a second device while the first is still running, and — depending on its paranoia level — either insist one persona is shut down first or completely lock the account down until you contact customer services to get it unlocked.
| || | submitted by nancybaker_ to u/nancybaker_
iPhone 12 Pro giveaway for your chance to win. Participate 14th-generation flagship iPhone's get a chance to win free iPhone 12 giveaway
contest international .All-new design with Ceramic Shield, pro camera system, Li-DAR Scanner, and the biggest Super Retina XDR display ever on an iPhone So the time has come and now the latest model of iPhone giveaway contest. Apple A14 Bionic Processor
A14 Bionic 64-bit six-core CPU ARM-based . The Apple New iPhone 12 Pro MAX is super-charged by The most powerful and smartest chip ever in a smartphone. all-new design with Ceramic Shield, LiDAR Scanner, and the biggest Super Retina XDR display ever on an iPhone It’s not just faster than any previous iPhone 11 Pro, New CPU technology A14 bionic chip 80 percent increase in performance it’s also more efficient. iPhone 12 Pro iPhone 12 Cameras System
The world’s best pro camera is an even more versatile tool for all levels of photo and video enthusiasts with state-of-the-art camera hardware powered by A14 Bionic. Together with the new image signal processor (ISP), A14 Bionic drives increased image quality and enables powerful computational photography capabilities not possible with traditional cameras. iPhone 12 Pro models also feature the new Apple Pro RAW, coming later this year,5 which combines Apple’s multi-frame image processing and computational photography with the versatility of a RAW format. Users can experience full creative control over color, detail, and dynamic range natively on iPhone or with other professional photo editing apps. Wide-angle and telephoto optical zoom, as well as digital bringing the optical zoom range to 4x 5G and LTE Networks iPhone 12
The most 5G bands on a smartphone, iPhone 12 Pro models provide the widest 5G coverage worldwide. 1 Models in the US support millimeter wave, the higher frequency version of 5G, allowing iPhone 12 Pro models to achieve speeds of up to 4 Gbps, even in densely populated areas. iPhone 12 Pro models also feature Smart Data mode, which extends battery life by intelligently assessing 5G needs and balancing data usage, speed and power in real time, iPhone 12 improved 5G on speeds for faster downloads, higher quality video streaming, more responsive gaming, real-time interactivity in apps, high definition Face Time, and much more. Customers will also enjoy a secure, fast connection, reducing the need to connect to public Wi-Fi hot-spots. iPhone 12 Pro Design
iPhone 12 Pro models feature a sophisticated new flat edge design that features a gorgeous surgical-grade stainless steel band paired with precision-machined matte glass back, and features the incredibly durable ceramic shield. The shield ceramic front cover, stronger than any smartphone glass, goes beyond glass and is infused with nano-ceramic crystals to dramatically improve toughness and increase performance by 4x drop OlED Display iPhone 12
6.1 inches for the iPhone 12 Pro and 6.7 inches for the iPhone 12 Pro Max feature a Super Retina XDR display with color management for the entire system for advanced color accuracy. And iPhone 12 Pro Max delivers the largest screen ever on an iPhone and the highest resolution, with nearly 3.5 million pixels for a remarkable true to life viewing experience. These OLED displays bring HDR video content to life, reaching peak 1200 nits Color of iPhone 12 Pro
iPhone 12 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro Max will be available in 128GB, 256GB, and 512GB models in graphite, silver, gold, and pacific blue. iOS 14 iPhone's 12
iPhone iOS 14 offers reinvented experiment with new ways to customize the home screen. Beautifully redesigned widgets timely information to present at a glance and can be pinned in various sizes on a home screen page. iPhone App store is a new space that automatically organizes all of a user's apps into a single, easy-to-navigate view. iOS 14 also brings new ways to explore and use apps with App Clips, powerful updates to stay connected in messages, greener ways to explore cities with maps, advanced tech privacy features. for even more transparency and control! How To Win An iPhone 12 Pro For Free
- You do not need to pay anything to join this giveaway
- Winners are chosen randomly
- You may participate for multiple times within a month
- Bot Protected, Don't try to cheat our system
- Absolutely Free Delivery
Kontes Hadiah iPhone 12 ProFree participate giveaway contest of iPhone 12 Pro have a great chance to win free iPhone online Hope awesome latest gadgets contests winner . A Truly Innovative product of 5G of iPhone's mobile. Like a maniac using this really simple way